Friday, April 08, 2005

Otro Sueño

This is a comment I left on another blog. I like it, so I'm putting it here. It is part of an ongoing conversation I'd invite everybody to join. That ongoing conversation can be found here.

I don't want to turn this into a silly conversation, but I'd like to illustrate a point with a silly story.

When I was 17, I had a dream about the Pope and Ronald Reagan. They were both new to me at the time and I liked them both. I still do.

In my dream, I came home from school early and found two limos parked outside. Now, please keep in mind that I lived in the ghetto, in San Bernardino, California (about 1.5hr east of L.A.). I walked into our appartment to find the Pope and Ronald Reagan having a normal conversation (both dressed in full regalia sp? and eating chicken. My mom was coming back from the stove, bringing another plate of chicken.

They were friendly, funny, NICE! To this day, I like them both (though I may disagree with their points of view) and find them extremely approachable and personable. I'd vote for the Pope and pray with Mr. Reagan, if I could.

Ultimately, the greatest role of rulers is to keep the status quo, despite how badly they may want to change. Change, when it comes, usually happens to them, not from them. Them's the breaks. I may never know how each of these men would feel about my life, but it is to their credit that they got me to care about theirs, and that is a plus.

I hope they're up there enjoying my mom's chicken now.

miguel Homepage 04.08.05 - 6:55 pm #

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I liked this in its original comment form. Quite happy to see you posted it here, too.

Thanks for the advice on my future dream trip to Tuscany.

Sweater...check.

But maybe I'll wait until I have the plane ticket to pack it.

Maybe.

:-)

Manuel said...

I hope they've both got diarrhea!

Sólo falta que en tu sueño, tu mamá era Margaret Tatcher, Miguel!