Friday, February 18, 2005

I also want to be Jules Verne


This is me!

Well, I'd like to visit the moon
On a rocket ship high in the air
Yes, I'd like to visit the moon
But I don't think I'd like to live there
Though I'd like to look down at the earth from above
I would miss all the places and people I love
So although I might like it for one afternoon
I don't want to live on the moon...

They interviewed Michael Jordan on NPR this morning. He's a dolphin trainer somewhere on the other coast. He sounds about 20, and very white (what the hell do white people sound like? not like the other Michael Jordan!). I thought that was funny.

The muslims in Iraq are having another holy day. Great Allah, those people have tons of holidays. I'm a little jealous. Did you know that Italy takes all of August off--yes, the entire country goes on vacation. American productivity increases almost guarantee an ever-increasing unemployment rate. Somebody should tell them that Mutually Assured Destruction does NOT equal peace. Additionally, don't they see how pointless it is (from an American perspective) for one Muslim to bomb another Muslim's Mosque? It took Americans a while to figure this out--we don't really bomb one another anymore. We've become much more adept at one-on-one killing.

I heard today that a primary contributing factor in Argentina's latest economic collapse was the privatization (spelling?) of their social security system. Good going! My friend went there and she said that she struck a conversation with her waiter at a local restaurant. The guy has two (count them slowly: 1... 2!) phd's. He's a waiter. Let me repeat this: The guy speaks French, Italian, English and Spanish; he has completed as many years of post-graduate education as my friend has been alive; and he's a waiter. Because they privatized their social security system. Whereas I will not venture an opinion on a non-existing presidential plan to approach the same goal here, I will certainly pray to all deities currently available for better luck and greater wisdom in our attempt.

I got matching revolutionary t-shirts for my son and me. We'll be twin guerrilla fighters on Sunday. And I got my daughter and my step-daughter matching shirts of their own. We'll have our own little sexually segregated army taking over a local movie theatre soon! And in traditional revolutionary fashion, we'll watch our American-made movie while having popcorn. Hey, it's corn... at least that's something of a nod to the ancestors.

My sister had her gall bladder removed. I told her she's less my sister today than yesterday. About a pound or so... she didn't think it was funny, to which I responded by falling back on good ole' Shakespeare: A pound of flesh--no more, no less.

The movie 7 is sick and twisted. I loved it.

err... That's enough today... I need more coffee...

2 comments:

SC&A said...

TWO Phd's? Wow. Impressive. Of course. depends what subject matter is. SS notwithstanding, he may be waiting tables a long time

Anyway, good stuff here.

RBD said...

Me gustô muchîsimo este artîculo sobre las contradicciones de este mundo, que alcanzan su culmen con el actual gobierno estadounidense.

Rafael Barcelô Durazo.
Saint-Flour, France.