Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Febrero

My daughter's birthday is the last day of January. She is now 14.

Do you remember the moment you realized your parents were just human, devoid of any supernatural powers?

She is growing up so fast, both physically and emotionally. This scares me. My father could never handle our growing up and treated us like five-year-olds well into our twenties. I am afraid I might never have learned how to deal with grown-up kids because I've never seen it done. Hopefully, she and I can figure it out as we go through it. Still, she's beginning to rebel like children often do. It's ok, I think. I'm sure I did it.

Do you remember the moment you realized that their lack of extra-natural abilities did not prevent them from being superheroes?

I think we only come to realize how truly remarkable parents are once we have children--perhaps a self-serving realization, but children are tiring, trying. Perhaps it is instinct that drives us; perhaps it is divine decree. Whatever it is, we endevor, we fight on, we persevere. And a chosen few do a good job. It is a challenge I will gladly face.

My ex-wife is getting a new divorce, and has a new boyfriend (all at once, mind you), and my kids are (understandably) requiring a lot more attention.

My new relationship is going very well, but as things improve, more and more time is required--not a bad thing, as I am the one who likes to spend time together more (I think). How odd that I should be the one less independent.

On an entirely unrelated topic, my brother's first anniversary of death is coming up, and with my mother having been so depressed this entire year, we're planning a bit of an event. Hopefully, we can help her work towards a bit of a closing while still giving the event the importance it is worth. Now I am the oldest--what a strange feeling for a "middle" child. Oftentimes, he was a prick, and I still miss him. Perhaps a little prayer can help us all get closer to peace over the unexpected death.

Also, the company for which I work is in the process of buying our biggest competitors. Sweet victory promises tons of work. All this while working (simultaneously) on the two largest machines ever made in our industry--one the biggest by a factor of ten over the largest to date.

Ah! February promises to be a busy month.

1 comment:

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I used to think I adored you. Now I KNOW I do.